- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons paprika (smoked or sweet)
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless striped bass, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 slices crusty bread, toasted
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the bay leaves and paprika and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add the onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, garlic and 2 tablespoons of the cilantro; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
Add 1 cup water and reduce the heat to medium low. Season the fish with salt and pepper, then nestle the pieces among the vegetables in the pan. Cover and simmer until the fish is just cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
Divide the stew among bowls. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro. Serve with the bread.